Friday 8 October 2010

Opening Night!

The time has come! Zizzi Inverness has opened its doors for the very first time! There has been a real-build up of excitement today amongst the staff and us artists and writers in residence alike. It's been a great privilege to be part of a team which shares such drive and passion for the success of their restaurant. After all, it is their restaurant. Team Zizzi Inverness have invested so much time and effort into preparing for tonight. It represents a part of them. It has been theirs from the building stages to the finished product. Now, let it be yours.

Zizzi Inverness invites you to sample their beautiful Italian cuisine whilst you are surrounded by views of the River Ness. Your city, your restaurant. By speaking to a wide variety of residents, from 'true Invernesians' to those who have relocated and are now proud to call Inverness home, I have learnt something. The city remains a 'big town', enjoying all the benefits of larger stores and restaurants like Zizzi, whilst mantaining the charm and comforts which come from being a smaller part of the world.

It's 5.30pm and Zizzi welcomes its first guests into the restaurant. General Manager Ross Sharratt is on hand to greet the diners with a glass of wine. Soon, Zizzi is filled with curious locals, eager to test out some of the culinary delights on offer. The guests take their seats, ready to sample a wide variety of dishes that are circulating the restaurant: rustic pizzas on wooden boards; large dishes of calamari and taster portions of pasta to name but a few. I doubt there will be leftovers tonight!

One of my personal favourite interviewees, Robin Munro, returns to give his opinion on the restaurant as a finished product: "It's looking great, definitely!" Several diners comment on the beautiful layout of Zizzi: "It's so spacious inside even though there are lots of different placs to sit. I can't believe how stunning the views are. Especially at this time of night. The river when it's lit up is just gorgeous and it's great to be able to take it in with a glass and wine and good food!"

It certainly is shaping up to be a wonderful night, filled with, first and foremost excellent food, wine, conversation and the chance to meet a bright and enthusiastic Team Zizzi Inverness. As two of the restaurant's very first diners are leaving, I get the chance to find our their thoughts on the night. "The authenticity of the food is really what makes it. The pizzas were just excellent. The calamari as well was to die for. To say that Zizzi's is just another pizza/pasta place would be ridiculous. You can really taste that authentic Italian cooking. I'll definitely be booking a table and coming back. It's a great contribution to Inverness."

As the first round of diners leave, a fresh wave enter the restaurant and there's one thing that everyone can agree on – the food is outstanding! The diners all tuck into the freshly prepared courses. I manage to sneak a tiramisu. Delicious. I think my best plan of action is to befriend one of the waitresses and blink forlornly at the dishes whizzing by me. It works. I sample one of their vegetarian boards. Sundried tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, buffalo mozzarella. I really do like my job sometimes.

Anya, a local resident, is kind enough to chat to me about her first Zizzi experience: "It's fantastic. I work in a B&B very near to here and I'll definitely be recommending it to all the guests. I'm from Poland but I have lived in Spain and sometimes I really miss that Latin spirit. So here, it's great. It's like I'm sitting at the seaside of some Italian village."

One thing's certain – tonight's guests have the makings of great regular customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment